With all this on my plate, how do I find time to do anything else? You may well ask. The wife does…often.
Berkhamsted Raiders CFC
I am the Chair of Trustees and Club Chairman of Berkhamsted Raiders Community Football Club, one of the biggest and most successful youth football clubs in the country. In 2019/20, Berkhamsted Raiders is running 94 teams with over 1,100 boys and girls from Under 7 to Under 18, plus a Ladies Team, a Senior Team, a Futsal team, and Veterans, Walking Football and Inclusive Football sections.
Berkhamsted Raiders won the award for the “Herts FA Community Club of the Year” in 2010 and 2012, and 2015, and again in 2017. In 2015, Berkhamsted Raiders was awarded the national FA Community Club of the Year and in 2016, we reached the dizzy heights of the number two youth football club in Europe, receiving the UEFA European Grassroots Club of the Year – Silver Award 2015. And in 2019, we were awarded both Dacorum and Hertfordshire “Community Club of the Year”
If you want to know how to run a community football club, take a look at Raiders KnowHow.
I am a Trustee of BerkoAstro, a charity that operates a football facility at Ashlyns School. In 2010, we succeeded in raising £600,000 for a state of the art floodlit 3G artificial grass pitch at BerkoAstro, in partnership with Ashlyns School. A £300,000 grant from the Football Foundation was a key element in our success. In 2012, we raised another £160,000 to finance the development of the Paul Beard Centre, a club house facility adjacent to the 3G pitch.
I am also a Director/Trustee of the Berkhamsted Sports Grounds Charitable Association which owns some of the sports facilities in our town.
In May 2016, I received the Civic Award from the Rotary Club of Berkhamsted and Bulbourne for my “meritorious contribution” to the town of Berkhamsted and in recognition of the work I have done in growing participation in sport in our community.
I’m always willing to help out with local events for good causes, such as the Berkhamsted Fun Run and Half Marathon. I even ran it once… just the 5K, and not very fast.
In 2018, in his debut season, Matt achieved “Rookie of the Year” and only left the track on a few occasions.
And in my spare time
- Ex-member of Stocks Golf Club. I just don’t have the time nowadays. I play about twice a year, so I don’t really get value out of a golf club membership nowadays.
- Current handicap – 17. It never gets better, never gets worse. Known as “Mr Steady”.Also, deserve “Bandit of the Year” for the 45 points I racked up on a trip to Le Touquet.
- Current and past holder of the Le Tookay Invitation Cup, although there has been some unfair criticism of the handicap adjustment system which applies to this event…. It suited me fine.
- In a previous year, I came very close to winning, after a storming last round in which I nearly made up a ten point deficit on the tournament leader. Playing the wrong ball on the final hole put paid to my hopes. A Van de Velde moment.
- Member of the winning team in the Cape Town International Cup 2006.
The mighty Spurs
And of course… I am a supporter of the all conquering (I wish) Tottenham Hotspur FC. Spurs made it into the Champions League final in 2019! Probably a once in a lifetime experience.